1.26.2011

I'm pickin' up good libations

Since I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, I have to make up for lost time by sharing 2 of my favorite places on this snowy, rainy, wintry day. On my top 5 list, I included 2 different bars, so I thought it would be appropriate to pair them together today.
 
POV roof terrace and lounge

Location: rooftop of the W hotel, Pennsylvania Ave.

Cuisine: I've only had cocktails out on the roof, but non-liquid menu items are also available

When to go: When you want to enjoy a cocktail and a wonderful view of the city at the same time, or when you're visiting from out of town


Why I love it: From the open rooftop lounge, you can enjoy a rare close-up of the White House and get a panoramic view of the monuments and memorials along the Mall. The space is filled with lots of "conversational nooks" (plush couches grouped together in mini seating areas). The nooks are located along the edge of the roof so you have an unobstructed view. Unlike other rooftops throughout the city, POV is open year-round - they just break out the heaters and offer faux-fur-like blankets to keep things cozy. I like to take out-of-town guests to POV so they can see a lot of the highlights of the city in a more trendy rather than touristy way.

THE GIBSON

Location: U-St. corridor

Cuisine: Prohibition-era cocktails (again, I've only had drinks here, but they have to serve food, right???)

When to go: When you just want a good (strong) drink and a blast from the past

Why I love it: Its 1920's speakeasy feel. From the street, the Gibson may look like an abandoned building (you enter through an unmarked metal door), but don't let that fool you. Inside, the Gibson feels like a throwback to the roaring 20s. I love the rich, paneled bar and their classic drinks like the Manhattan and the Sidecar. The back patio is rather enjoyable during the summer.

So there you have it. Two great bars where you can have an after-dinner cocktail or kick back and stay a while. Happy Wednesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment