1.27.2011

Put a CORK in it

Today we head to northwest DC to discover Cork Wine Bar.

Location: 14th St., just south of U St. corridor (and not far from the Gibson, which I posted about yesterday)

Cuisine: small plates, cheeses, and charcuterie that pair nicely with their wines

When to go: When you don't mind waiting for a table. (Trust me it's worth it.)

Should definitely order: The sliced avocado served with pistachios, oil and sea salt on grilled bread, brussle sprouts, wine flights


Why I love it: Cork is a cozy little wine bar that offers a nice variety of wines, many of which are available by the glass. They also pair certain wines together as flights so you can explore different regions and varietals. Contrary to its name, Cork is not all about the wine. Their food is also worth the trip. They describe their menu as "simple and local." Sure, you might consider serving a plate of brussel sprouts simple, but when Cork roasts them with pancetta and brown butter, they're simply delicious.

Separate from the wine bar, Cork also has a market and tasting room. They offer daily wine tastings and bi-monthly wine classes (I'm really hoping the bf signs us up for some of these as a Vday gift...fingers crossed).

So, have you guys had enough or are you thirsty for more? I can't wait to share the final restaurant pick. It'll be a special Friday edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment