Remember back in January when I talked about my New Year's resolutions? Check them out here if you missed it.
Well, I'm happy to report that I have actually followed through on them this year (at least 3 out of the 5 so far...better than nothin', right?). In an effort to stick to my "keep the blog momentum going" resolution, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone by blogging about our very first book club!
Our first book club met this past Sunday over vino and delicious homemade chili to discuss our first book, The Old Man and the Sea. I thought TOMATS was a good choice for the club, especially our first meeting. Although it's short, there's definitely a ton of analysis to be made about the old man, what the sea/the fish/the boy symbolize, etc... Being the nerd that I am, I came prepared with some discussion questions about the book, which offered some great jumping off points for our book club powwow. The group as a whole was able to concentrate on the discussion for all of 5 minutes, but I think that will become more focused as we go along. Overall, I think it's a good excuse to read a book that you might not be initially disposed to reading. For our next BC, we'll be reading Brave New World (a new one for me.)

No comments:
Post a Comment